The World Is A Crazy Place

April 16, 2013 Environment 2 Comments 5,932 Views

The World Is A Crazy Place.

I usually don’t write about any sort of political issues. Not because I’m not interested (the opposite is actually the case), but because Cookiesound is travelling is about travel, adventure, experiences, impressions and inspiration … Yet the latest happenings really made me think and led me to writing this post.

Yes, the world is a crazy place with bombings happening at the Boston Marathon; an event where sport, fun, action and happiness are in the foreground. There’s no doubt that this is a real tragedy. BUT (and this is a big but), bombings in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and many other countries are the daily business and no one seems to really care any more.

If you go through the terrorist incidents of 2013 alone, you’ll see, that almost all of them didn’t occur in western countries, and you’ll also realize that you haven’t even heard of 95% of them. You might have heard of the other 5%, but their headlines – “32 killed through bomb blast in Iraq” or “42 people killed through suicide bombings in Damascus” or “40 killed through US bombs at a wedding in Afghanistan” – don’t seem to bother us any more. It’s the daily business and therefore “nothing” special. These bombings also hit innocent people in places you’d never expect a bomb to go off – markets, buses, public buildings and even churches … As soon as the Western world is hit by something like this (even if the number of casualties is little to none), times seems to stand still.

I do care about this! In my opinion, there’s definitely something wrong with this picture!

Destruction left behind after an attack on Sigili village, North Darfur. Photo: UNAMID/Albert González Farran
Destruction left behind after an attack on Sigili village, North Darfur. Photo: UNAMID/Albert González Farran
Associated Press - A suicide car bomber attacked a Catholic Church during Mass in Nigeria, killing at least 10 people.
Associated Press – A suicide car bomber attacked a Catholic Church during Mass in Nigeria, killing at least 10 people.
Associated Press/Arshad Butt - Pakistani Shiite Muslims sit in protest next to the dead bodies of their family members killed in Saturday's bombing
Associated Press/Arshad Butt – Pakistani Shiite Muslims sit in protest next to the dead bodies of their family members killed in a bombing.
Iraq Suicide Bombings.
Iraq Suicide Bombings. Photo credit unknown.
 Afghan policemen and NATO troops inspect the site of a suicide attack in Faryab province, Afghanistan. Photo: REUTERS
Afghan policemen and NATO troops inspect the site of a suicide attack in Faryab province, Afghanistan. Photo: REUTERS
Appreciate this Story?

Go tell your friends by sharing or tweeting it.

This Story is Tagged With:


2 Comments

Join the Discussion

“The World Is A Crazy Place.”

  1. I could not agree more! My dad is currently deployed in the Middle East with the US military, and I was talking to him yesterday about this. Although the bombing is a tragedy, just because it happened on American soil makes it that much more important?

    Being in the military in hostile country my dad has experienced lots of tragedies. One of his close buddies died during a convoy bombing, with the rest of his company. Was that international news? Did the president give a speech about it? No.

    Sorry, I’ll step off my soap box before I write a novel on the topic. Thank you for sharing this post, this girl really appreciates it.

  2. Nisa

    Hi Amanda!

    Thanks so much for your comment! I also couldn’t agree more with you.

    As you said with your father’s situation … if you’re stationed in a hostile environment, you’re faced with things like this each day and the world doesn’t really care that much about it…

    I honestly don’t understand why the front page of every newspapers world-wide shows this story on top. As I already wrote, it is a tragedy – no doubt, and it’s sad that an 8-year-old boy was under the casualties, but no one cared when 40 people died at a wedding in Afghanistan through a bomb attack – and I’m sure there was one or the other child casualty too…
    I can only imagine, that people now feel like it’s happening much closer to their home (or even their home) and therefore it’s more “real”, and therefore the entire western world is in shock.

    Anyway, I could go on for hours as well, so I’ll just stop here :)
    Take care!
    Best, Nisa

Leave a Comment