Milford Track Day 2: Pompolona Lodge To Quintin Lodge via Mackinnon Pass
Day 2 is actually the most demanding trekking day, especially with harsh weather. Our day started with sunshine, yet the minute we saw Mackinnon Pass from afar, clouds started covering up the area and it began raining cats and dogs.
Key Facts, Milford Track Day 2.
- Length: 15 km
- Time: 6-8 hours (add 60-90 minutes for Sutherland Falls)
- Highlight: Hot shower, comfy bed and naturally, Mackinnon Pass was kinda cool even with crappy weather.
Starting from Pompolona Lodge, the track first lead to Lake Mintaro, before we started climbing Mackinnon Pass in a series of zig-zags. At the top you’d normally be rewarded with spectacular panorama – in case the weather allows it. Unfortunately we weren’t that lucky and Mackinnon Memorial greeted us with thick fog, pouring rain and temperatures just above the freezing point. We couldn’t wait getting away from the plateau fast enough and continued to Pass Hut, where we stopped for a short lunch break.
The way down was a complete change of scenery again: from wide openness to thick rain forest. After the rocky 1.000 metre descent into the Arthur Valley, I reached Quintin Lodge as the first one, so I decided to continue to the Sutherland Falls, the world’s fifth highest waterfall. It would have been an amazing experience, yet sandflies and rain were enough for me to immediately turn around. The though of a hot shower, drying room and warm bed gave me wings and I was back at Quintin Lodge in no time. I’m really not a sissy, but I wouldn’t have wanted to slip back into my wet shoes the next day, so thanks again for the luxury Ultimate Hikes!
Milford Track, Day By Day Itinerary.
- Day 0: Queenstown to Glade House.
- Day 1: Glade House to Pompolona Lodge.
- Day 2: Pompolona Lodge to Quintin Lodge via Mackinnon Pass (you’re here right now).
- Day 3: Quintin Lodge to Mitre Peak Lodge via Sandfly Point.
- Day 4: Mitre Peak Lodge to Milford Sound.