Milford Track Day 3: Quintin Lodge To Sandfly Point & Mitre Peak Lodge.
Day 3 is the longest walking day (kilometre wise). Most of the track is pretty even though. The hike includes a number of beautiful waterfalls, bridges and crystal-clear creeks.
Key Facts, Milford Track Day 3.
- Length: 21 km
- Time: 6-8 hours
- Highlight: Mackay Falls & taking a dip in the ice-cold water at the Giant Gate Falls
You’ll reach Mackay Falls (the most photographed place in all of New Zealand) and Lake Ada before hiking past the last waterfall on the track, the Giant Gate Falls. I couldn’t help myself and went in for a little swim. The water was ice-cold and I felt like a million needles pinched me, but afterwards I was re-born with superwomen powers and ready to finish the track. From here it took about one and a half hours to Sandfly Point. It’s a well deserved name, so be sure your have enough insect repellent ready.
Once you reach the accommodation at Milford Sound you’ll have a superb view of Mitre Peak (again, if the weather allows it).
Milford Track, Day By Day Itinerary.
- Day 0: Queenstown to Glade House.
- Day 1: Glade House to Pompolona Lodge.
- Day 2: Pompolona Lodge to Quintin Lodge via Mackinnon Pass.
- Day 3: Quintin Lodge to Mitre Peak Lodge via Sandfly Point (you’re here right now).
- Day 4: Mitre Peak Lodge to Milford Sound.